IIFT – A walk through
IIFT entrance exam is conducted by INDIAN INSTITUTE OF FOREIGN TRADE for the candidates who want to pursue MBA in international business. There are four stages in the IIFT exam, first is written test which is followed by an essay writing task, group discussion and personal interview.
IIFT entrance exam is slated to be held on 27th November 2016 and result will be announced in January 2017. To be eligible for IIFT entrance, a candidate must have a bachelor’s degree from a recognized institution. The appearing applicants in final year are also eligible for IIFT entrance test. There is no age limit to apply for the exam.
The question paper will contain four sections namely – verbal ability, quantitative ability, data interpretation & logical reasoning and reading comprehension & general awareness. There will be separate marking scheme for each section and 1/3rd marks will be deducted for every wrong answer as penalty.
PREPARATION TIPS TO CRACK IIFT
While preparing for IIFT entrance a candidate should focus on the topics which are prescribed in the syllabus and strive to get a grip on these four sections which are – verbal ability, quantitative ability, data interpretation & logical reasoning and general awareness. Following tips are being given to prepare for each section:-
- Quantitative ability tests the basic concepts of math. It is a concept driven section. Candidates should maintain a notebook to keep records of important formulas and concepts. Suppose a question related to compound interest is asked then you should be well versed with the topic of compound interest to solve the question. It is therefore suggested that you prepare the key concepts of arithmetic, algebra, geometry and modern math to score good in this section.
- To cope with the questions of verbal ability, candidates should work on honing their reading speed as 3-4 reading comprehensions are asked every year. You should study grammar carefully as questions related to sentence correction are asked. Practice is required to solve usage based questions like analogy, fill in the blanks etc. Candidates should maintain a notebook for good vocabulary as it proves to be an asset while solving questions based on vocab. A good vocab also helps to understand reading comprehension easily.
- Data interpretation and logical reasoning are the topics which require careful practice of the topics. To fetch good marks in this section, candidates should prepare ample number of mock tests so that they find questions familiar while taking the test. Questions asked in this section are not directly formula based. Candidates have to use their intellect while attempting this section. Candidates are advised to practice different data interpretation topics like pie chart, bar graph, line charts, data tables and combinations thereof, for DI section. Topics like arrangements, family tree, complex data solution should be given utmost importance to fetch good marks in logical reasoning.
- General awareness is an environment sensitive area and requires familiarity with both static and current components of the environment. For static GK one should focus on topics like history, geography, economics, political science etc. for current affairs newspaper proves to be a real asset.
- SPEED AND ACCURACY
Like, CAT and other competitive exams, IIFT is also about speed and accuracy. The negative marking and differential marking makes these two factors crucial. It’s important that one first attempts the questions which involve maximum marks, that too correctly. One-third marks are deducted for every question answered incorrectly. Time management is the key. Candidates need to attempt questions not just quickly but correctly as well. Do not get stuck on one question. Exam time is not the right time to challenge the questions. Be quick enough to decide on which question it seems right to invest time. Questions which can be solved easily need to be attempted first. Long and time consuming questions should be entertained later.
- THOROUGH REVISION
Candidates should focus on basics. Be confident about the same. Revise the fundamentals from starting. Practice again and again if you have learned them well. Practice all the shortcuts well. Cracking IIFT requires smart tricks. Work on the same. Read books. Mug up good words to increase vocabulary. Try recalling and experimenting with words you have already learnt.
- MOCK TEST PAPERS AND PREVIOUS YEAR PAPERS
Candidates should practice mock test papers daily. You should set the stop watch and analyze your score daily. This will help you know your worth and then you could add on the requisite efforts. Practice previous year papers. They will help you understand the trend over time. You could thus forecast and understand the pattern expected this year. Giving mock test would give you an edge over the basic preparation.
We hope you will use these tips and tricks to crack your IIFT Exam. 😀