Having your website hacked can be one of the most exasperating experiences. It makes one feel helpless and even infuriated. If you are fortunate, you may get your website back. At times, you might have to spend a lot of money to hire experts who can help you in this mission. But imagine someone’s state who may not be able to recover his website and may have to build everything again from scratch!
Websites get hacked because we don’t properly secure them. Given that one-fourth of all websites are powered by WordPress, you may hear about a lot of WordPress based websites getting compromised. Due to the sheer number of websites powered by them, that there is a 25% chance that any website you might hear about getting hacked may turn out to be a WordPress one.
What is Security Ninja?
Since WordPress is an open-source provider, it is slightly more vulnerable to attacks. And while their development team constantly looks to detect any loopholes that might be present, one mustn’t forget that people install a bunch of third party plug-ins, themes, and widgets on their website which may become the source through which hackers enter into your system. Over 48% of WordPress websites get hacked through plug-ins and themes.
So what does one do to secure his website? Enter Security Ninja, the perfect armor against threatening attacks. Security Ninja is a WordPress plug-in that is designed to protect your website from hackers. The Free version runs 48 comprehensive tests, whereas the Pro version runs over 50 security checks for your website.
How to install and Use?
Installing Security Ninja is very simple. It works like any other WordPress plug-in, and does not make any changes on your website, lest you worry about your page load speed increasing! All you have to do is open up your WordPress Admin panel, browse to Plugins, and search for ‘Security Ninja’. Click on the ‘Install Now’ next to the first result that you see (the thumbnail should display a Ninja icon), and then Activate it by going to the Tools panel.
Using Security Ninja is as simple as installing it. Once the plugin is installed, you just have to click on ‘Analyze Site’, and it starts performing a scan of your website. The tool starts running in the background and offers results in just a couple of minutes.
What does Security Ninja scan?
Here are some of the important actions that are performed by the tool –
- Carrying out a Brute Force attack to determine the strength of your password. Brute Force attack is a technique used by hackers where your website is attacked rapidly with a combination of login IDs and passwords to see if any of the combination cracks your password
- Checking the version of your themes, plugins, and letting you know if they are over 12 months old. Themes and plugins that are over a year old have a higher chance of being vulnerable to cyber attacks
- Checking permissions and accessibility of various folders on your website, and finding the different places from where login attempts have been done on your website
- Checking the version of PHP and MySQL being used on your website
Here’s how the report is generated once you click on Analyze Site –
It gives you a detailed breakdown of every test performed, with suggestions to fix it. Details of Pass, Fail, and Warningare shown using the standard color codes of Green, Red, and Yellow respectively. Kindly note the tool can also auto-fix vulnerabilities detected on your website, but only if you are using the Pro version. Let’s have a look at the detailed test results –
Does the Pro version offer any additional benefits?
Security Ninja Pro offers you these additional benefits –
- Core Scanner – Core Scanner scans over 1,200 WordPress files, and gives you a notification even if a single byte of information has been changed across any of them. It creates a backup of the master copy, so that in case anyone’s tried to change anything, you can restore your original copy
- Cloud Firewall– Ban anyone who tries to attempt a lot of logins on your website. In short, brute-force protection!
- Auto Fixer– As mentioned above, if Security Ninja displays ‘Failed’ or ‘Warning’after a scan, you can get those errors resolved by auto-fixing them. No more manual creation of backups or changing codes – let Security Ninja do the same.
- Database Optimizer– Database Optimizer performs the function of clearing up garbage space on your website. Unwanted records and files that have been piling up since some time and don’t necessarily perform any function can be removed using this tool
- Malware Scanner– As the name suggests, Malware scanner identifies suspicious pieces of codes or plugins on your website. It allows you to whitelist files that are safe and important, but have been detected as potentially harmful by this tool
- Events Logger– Every single event that takes place on your website can be recorded and reported to you. You can see if any unwanted actions are taking place behind your back. Here’s how the Events Logger report looks like –
So finally, how good is Security Ninja?
Security Ninja is one of the best plugins out there for securing your website. It fits into every budget, right from the Free version that scans up to 48 issues to the Pro version that is meant for much more serious users that risk losing a lot of money if their website ever gets compromised. The Pro versions are available for $39 (single-user), $79 (multi-user), and $199 (lifetime unlimited).
It has an average rating of 4.8/5 stars and has been installed by over 20,000 users. That itself gives you a measure of trust people are placing in this security plugin. An important thing to note here is that Security Ninja diagnoses and highlights issues that YOU need to fix. The onus is on you to actively pay attention to the issues and take measures to fix them.
On the whole, Security Ninja instills a true sense of security among website owners and lets them know about potential attacks in real time.